Friday 21 March 2014

#nomakeupselfie for Cancer Research

I am proud to say that I took part in the latest campaign on facebook, by taking a selfie wearing no makeup!
Well, I never usually wear makeup, so to make it different for me, I wore my hair down, which I NEVER do! So that was a little scary for me!
It also felt good to make my £3 donation by texting 'BEAT' to 70099!

What has surprised me though is some of the negative comments I have been reading!
I've read lots of comments from people who've said things like;
 'Ok, you've taken a selfie without makeup, how's that going to help?' or
'There are other charities out there that are just as important as cancer research, where's the picture to help raise awareness for them?'
However, the most surprising comment was made by an actual cancer sufferer, who posted a picture of her box of cancer medication, and commented 'I know cancer exists, I am reminded every day that it exists' with a 'grumpy face' to show how she felt.

Please let me start by saying that I am all for people saying how they feel, and am in no way saying I don't understand this last comment - I have no clue what it must be like for people to go through cancer, and my heart goes out to anyone who is suffering! However, I don't think I know anyone, who can honestly say that they don't know of someone in their life, who hasn't been touched by cancer in some way or another. I watched my Grannie slowly die of lukemia when I was 16. I have seen how scared my mum was when she got skin cancer removed from her hand at the beginning of the year, even though she never showed it. There are numerous people in my life who have lost loved ones and friends - it is a truly devastating disease!
Secondly, I also know that there are thousands of worthy causes that could do with more attention and awareness, but never seem to get it. Thousands of illnesses, like MS (my dad has) and mental illness (I have) plus ones that protect animals, children...the list could go on forever!

The reason I'm so surprised, and I guess a little saddened by these negative comments, is that they seem to be missing the bigger picture. The 'bear all' selfie for Cancer awareness was started to help others! Thousands of people made this simple gesture, not to belittle cancer sufferers, or cause offence, but to show love and support! To allow people to join in a little challenge and donate to a worthy cause at the same time! I have loved seeing women sharing their purest-selves, without all the 'warpaint' to hide behind, for all the world to see! Each and every one unique and beautiful! I also find it refreshing to be able to donate to a charity, by doing something simple and different, that doesn't involve 'begging or guilt-tripping' tactics for a change!

I think the point to make really, is that all the hype - both negative and supportive, has actually done the intended job! Thousands of people are either posting selfies or talking about them! This has enabled thousands of people, including me, to donate money to Cancer Awareness UK!
How many of us would have suddenly been inspired to donate to Cancer Research UK over the past few weeks, if it weren't for the selfies?
 I can honestly say, that if it weren't for campaigns like this, I would never have donated my money! Not because I don't feel that it's important, but because I wouldn't have thought to - 'out of sight, out of mind' - and all that.
It has also prompted people to share things, like posters on how to check your breasts, with signs of cancer to look out for and get checked out. Things that could help save lives!

Ok, sorry for ranting and moaning!
Here's my selfie, and one of Little Miss who wanted to join in too ;-)































Did you join in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments, and will always reply as soon as I can! xxx