Friday 18 April 2014

My Get Up and Go, Has Got Up and Went!

This is how I feel!
I want to do soooo many things at the moment, but I have no energy, no enthusiasm, no willpower, no... nothing! I feel frustrated and useless, once again!
This line always springs to mind when I feel like this is 'My Get Up and Go Has Got Up and Went'
My grandparents had this poem on the wall in the toilet room of their house. I used to read it over and over, trying to decide which stage I was at! 
If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the poem:

How do I know my youth has been spent 

Well my get up and go has got up and went.

But in spite of it all I’m able to grin,

When I think of the places my get up has been.

Old age is golden, so I’ve heard it said

But sometimes I wonder, as I get into bed.

With my ears in a drawer, and my teeth in a cup

And my eyes on the table until I get up.

Ere sleep dims my eyes, I say to my self

“Is there any thing else I should lay on the shelf”?

But I am happy to say as I close my door,

My friends are the same, only more even more.

When I was young, my slippers were red

I could kick up my heels over my head

When I grew older my slippers were blue

But still I could dance, the whole night thru.

Now I am old, my slippers are black

I walk to the store, and puff my way back.

The reason I know my youth is all spent

My get up and go has got up and went.

But I really don’t mind, as I reminisce

My get up and go gave me such wonderful bliss.

Since I am retired from life’s competition.

I busy myself with complete repetition.

I get up in the morning, dust off my wits

Pick up my paper, and read the obits.

If my name is missing I know I’m not dead

So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed.

(this is a copy I found via Google, that is as close to the version I remember so well!)

I think a lot of the time, I've always felt that my slippers were black, but I would love them to be blue!! ;-)
I think just finding this poem and reading it all again has already made me start to feel a little better! It always did make me smile!
Hopefully this 'fug' will pass and I'll be back on my way again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments, and will always reply as soon as I can! xxx